I'm on MeWe now!

Check out my updates on MeWe: https://mewe.com/i/davidwhite2368

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Man, I'm Old!: Beloit College Mindset List for c/o 2013


Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2013. I look forward to this every year.

Read all of it. Here are a few that stood out for me:


  • "For these students, Martha Graham, Pan American Airways, Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, Miles Davis, The Dallas Times Herald, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead." In order: never a dance fan, Pan Am food made me sick, I preferred Polaroid to Kodak, I AM the original Thing Two, the Legendary Stockholm Concert is still amazing, print media has been dying for years, Rick Berman is still haunted by the ghost of Gene (and Majel, too, as of late), and I have been listening to Sheer Heart Attack in my workout rotation for a few weeks now and my appreciation for that man's talents only increases with time.

  • "Rap music has always been main stream." To our everlasting shame and mortification! And I can say that as someone who listened to "Straight Outta Compton" by NWA when it first came out. It was better when it wasn't. (No we are not going to have a lengthy discussion on rap as music form.)

  • "The KGB has never officially existed." How soon the Cold War is forgotten.

  • "There has always been a Cartoon Network." Wow. I can remember being p.o.'d that Dexter's Lab was beaten out by The PowerPuff Girls for Best Cartoon Cartoon. Of course, they both got their own series. Justice Friends, Assemble!!!!!! Oh, and thank you for JuneBugs every summer (until they consigned all the classic cartoons to Boomerang) and for Dragon Ball Z.

  • "Members of Congress have always had to keep their checkbooks balanced since the closing of the House Bank." Congressman Rangel...paging Congressman Rangel...

  • "CDs have never been sold in cardboard packaging." Sure they are, just go to your local bank. --I say that only half in-jest. I lived to see the CD come and go as a medium of choice. Flash technology and high-speed Internet downloading have rendered this obsolete in most respects. CDs, however, have the advantage of permanence, for all practical purposes.


Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Roy said...

George Bush and the original Desert Storm war are, to today's youngsters, like Vietnam was to us.

Actually, there's a little more overlap in the Vietnam-us connection.

They never knew Czechoslovakia. Not like I knew it, man. Not like I knew it.

Clinton is their Nixon. Somehow that makes me feel better.